Tuesday, December 23, 2003

Wow, it's already the 23rd and nobody told me... shame, but honestly it really doesn't feel like the 23rd here at all, well, maybe since every day seems to be the same, that is, hot and sunny. Well, hey! That's Saudi Arabia for you!

Yep, welcome to my blog thing (it seriously took me like half an hour to figure out how to start this thing, I never really thought of myself as technologically challenged until now, but I guess there's a first for everything!). I'm not a brilliant writer at all, so don't expect much from me on this, but I thought it would be nice to start something like this since I know people all over the globe, and I ain't exactly that good at writing emails alot. So, if you can (and want), Enjoy! Oh, and for the Icelanders reading this you'll just have to read it in English, since there's no way I'm going to publish this in 2 or 3 languages!

Been here in Jeddah for a week now, and basicly like it, although I shouldn't be too quick to presume things like that since we really haven't started working yet, so it's been lazy days recently, lounging by the pool and watching TV a lot.
Apparently we'll be getting our Ramp/Airside securtiy passes for Jeddah King Abdulaziz Int'l Airport (I love that name!) tomorrow (24th Dec), so I guess it won't be lazy days much more after Xmas day.

Jeddah is actually kinda nice, although it seems alot of people have mixed emotions about it, especially the Icelanders working here, but that's just Icelanders for you, not exactly always optimistic and bright! Like I said, it's nice, and somewhat not what I expected, but then again I've no idea what I expected in the first place!
Downtown is a very busy place with lots of little (and big) shops, souks, smells and people. The thing about everything shutting down for prayers is great (the shops have 3 kinds of signs: OPEN / Closed and CLOSED FOR PRAYERS!), some find it annoying, but i find it nice, and when the Immam (or Imman or however you spell it) comes on the loudpeakers in the big shiny new shopping centre and calls everybody to prayers is really something different!
Of course my opinion of this place is bound to change in the next three months, but I've promised myself to keep a positive outlook (something I've learned some time ago) and SMILE alot, amazing how that helps anywhere you are!





And, for those of you wondering what the hell I'm doing in Saudi Arabia of all places, read on:

You see, I was offered a job with Air Atlanta Icelandic, as an "Operations Officer", working at the airport in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia for the coming Hajj season. Of course, being me, I took it, and here I am now, in Jeddah, living in a compound called "Rose Village" with other Air Atlanta people from all over the world. Interesting... Oh yes it is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home