Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Nostalgia

That's what the weekend was for me. I left for Switzerland last Wednesday, flying with Aeroflot to Zurich where I spent the day, then taking the train over to Geneva the same evening where I spent a lovely 4 days.
Came back to a grimy, rainy and cold Moscow on Sunday evening, certainly nothing like the fantastic weather I'd had in Switzerland where it was sunny the whole time and the temp in the range from 25°-33°C.
I think talking too much about how fabulous and lovely Switzerland is will only make me depressed to not be there anymore, so I won't.
But at some point it will be featured in my TravelGuide.

What I will comment on though is the flight(s), which is an important part of any trip I take.
I chose to fly Aeroflot mainly because they had the best timings for my trip, did so not fancy waking up at 4AM to catch a SWISS flight at 7AM, no way. So instead took the 10:30AM Aeroflot flight, meaning I'd land before noon in Zurich.
Aeroflot has recently started implementing a total product overhaul. This includes buying new planes (Airbus A319 and A320 for short-haul flights), with an all-new paint-job (which has also been applied to some of the old fleet of Russian and Western planes) aswell as new interiors made up of artificial blue leather seats with orange headrests in Economy, and navy blue leather seats in Bizness which look very comfortable, but this time I was in economy and the seats there aren't bad either, and have good legroom aswell. They're also getting new uniforms which look very good, but unfortunately the crews haven't started wearing them yet.
The flight to Zurich was pretty good. Greeted by smiling FAs at the door who insisted on describe the way to my seat (I felt like saying "sweety, I ain't that dumb, finding seat 7A isn't exactly rocket science!"). Food was so and so, the Russians on board seemed to love it, I however could only eat the tomatoes and chocolate bar which was very gut.
The flight back from Geneva was more eventful though. I was the only non-Russian person on board, which I absolutely didn't mind. In typical Russian fashion, through the flight people were standing in the aisles with their mobiles switched on with a bewildered look on their faces probably wondering why the hell there was no signal at 33,000 feet! Then there's the obiquitous group of 15 middle-aged men sitting half way down the plane with an open whisky bottle they'd bought at the DutyFree shop, passing it around amongst themselves making sure they're all equally intoxicated throughout the flight.
None of this really bothered me, just a tad amusing as usual.
Then the plane started descending for arrival in Moscow. As soon as Russian soil could be seen through the windows that same group of middle-aged men started singing very loudly a Russian folk song, 'Moscow Nights' or something like that, until landing when they burst out applauding and cheering we'd finally touched down in Mother Russia. Plane funny (pun intended).
I do recommend flying with Aeroflot, their fares are normally competitive and the service is improving every day (hopefully the food will too).

Now preparations are in full swing for our annual National Day Party (June 17th), which over 200 guests will be attending, some with questionable connections to Iceland, but many are extremely unfortunate looking who've fallen in love with the country in one way or another.
Before going to Geneva I made in excess of 700 mini-sized pizzas, so now it's back to the kitchen to make something else in enormous quantities to feed them Russkys.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home